The Vanuatu Meteorological and Geo – Hazards Department has issued a warning at 11:00am local time today, Tropical Cyclone JUDY was located at the center of the square letter K, number 3 (K,3) of the Vanuatu Tropical Cyclone Tracking Map.
With Yellow alert given for TORBA, PENAMA, SANMA & MALAMPA and Blue alert SHEFA & TAFEA , VCCI would like to remind all businesses to begin their preparations for the cyclone. We’ve come up with a checklist to help you with your preparations, listed below are the essentials we feel you will need to do to get you and your business prepared for Cyclone JUDY:
- Develop an emergency plan: This should include evacuation procedures, communication protocols, and procedures for securing the building and equipment. For help with this visit: https://vcci.vu/downloadable-resources/
- Review and update insurance coverage: Make sure you have adequate coverage for your property and equipment, and review your policy to understand what is and is not covered.
- Stock up on emergency supplies: This should include items such as non-perishable food, water, flashlights, and batteries.
- Secure loose objects: Make sure that any loose objects, such as outdoor furniture or signs, are securely fastened to prevent them from becoming projectiles in high winds.
- Test generators and backup systems: Make sure that backup generators and other systems are in good working order and test them to ensure they will function during a power outage.
- Backup and store important data: Make sure that important business data is backed up and stored in a secure location.
- Take down solar panels to avoid damage. Remind your families the islands to do so as well after charging their devices.
- Communicate with employees: Keep employees informed about the potential storm and what steps the company is taking to prepare.
- Check on critical systems: Check on critical systems, such as air con, plumbing, and electrical systems, and take steps to protect them from potential damage.
- Plan for continuity of operations: Develop a plan for how the business will continue to operate in the event of damage or disruption.
Continue to follow the VMGD website for more information: https://www.vmgd.gov.vu/vmgd/index.php/forecast-division/tropical-cyclone/warning